Skip to main content

April 2017


And another month goes by. To be fair, this time it didn't fly around for me; it was quite a slow month in general and I spent half of it reading - I can't even believe I have managed to read all of these books -  and half of it studying for University. I'm all caught up with all my courses and I'm ready to start revising for finals which will be at the end of May/beginning of June. I'm still in awe that for once in my life, I've being productive as hell if I say so myself. Hurray! Basically I wrote down all I had to do and I organised it throughout the first three weeks of April. At the same time I told myself I had to read for fun at least 30 minutes every single day in order to avoid being slumpy due to stress. It worked.

In general, April has been a good reading month. I read a total of 16 books (like, what even?) and four of them were 5-star reads. I haven't given a single 5 star to a book since the beginning of the year and comes April and voilá! So, my favourite reads this month were: The Hate U Give, Peter and Alice, Dear Ijeawele, or A Feminist Manifesto in Fifteen Suggestion and What We Buried. The only one I have reviewed is The Hate U Give. I just find really difficult sometimes to write down my feelings for a book especially if I loved it. But I'll try and write reviews for the other three.

The most disappointing books were: Fish Have No Feet which I DNFed because I couldn't be bother to continue the story after 200 pages; Distancia de Rescate by Samanta Schweblin which I picked up because it has been shorlisted for the International Man Booker Prize but I didn't get anything out of it; One Hundred Shadows by Hwang Jungeun which was too weird for me and I had the same problem as with Distancia de Rescate;  and Days of Blood & Starlight and in this case I found it disappointing because I was expecting something else out of the story after Daughter of Smoke and Bone ending.

I'm currently reading two books. Firstly, the last instalment in the Daugher of Smoke and Bone series and as with the second book, I'm having difficulties to enjoy the story. I actually had to put it aside when the Dewey's readathon started and since then, I haven't had the urge to pick it up but I'm planning on finishing this May. The second one is Am I Normal Yet? because I started it at the end of the readathon and I'm enjoying it.

I haven't plan any other books for May and since I'll be revising most of the time I decided not to plan a TBR besides the two I'm already reading so to avoid more pressure. Apart from finals at the very end of May, I have no other plans for this month. Well, my cousin is getting married so that's the most exciting thing about May!


What are your plans for May?
Any special on your TBR?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vintage Classics: Brontë Series

Maybe you don’t know this about me but I collect different edition of Jane Eyre and when I learnt that Vintage was releasing the new Brontë series I just couldn’t say no. 

Book Review // Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea

Because of Mr. Terupt  by Rob Buyea { Goodreads } Published by Yearling in 2011 Paperback edition; 288 pages { BookDepository } " Features seven narrators, each with a unique story, and each with a different perspective on what makes their teacher so special.  It’s the start of fifth grade for seven kids at Snow Hill School. There’s . . .  Jessica,  the new girl, smart and perceptive, who’s having a hard time fitting in;  Alexia,  a bully, your friend one second, your enemy the next;  Peter,  class prankster and troublemaker;  Luke,  the brain;  Danielle, who never stands up for herself; shy  Anna,  whose home situation makes her an outcast; and  Jeffrey,  who hates school.  Only Mr. Terupt, their new and energetic teacher, seems to know how to deal with them all. He makes the classroom a fun place, even if he doesn’t let them get away with much . . . until the snowy winter day when an accident changes everything—and everyone. "

Reading Diary | February Books | 2018

Feb, 1st - 15:15. Finished the second book in the first volume of the Riyria Revelations and I was pleasantly surprised. I still think the world building is the weakest thing about the story because it's not greatly developed but the story is well-written and entertaining. I'm planning on continuing reading the series because now I'm intrigued enough to want to know how everything will unfold. Feb, 7th - 10:33.  I'm finally prepared to go and see the movie Call Me By Your Name because I just finished reading the novel. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It is a celebration of love and an exploration of sex and identity. It's quite explicit though so if you feel uncomfortable with that keep it in mind if you're planning on reading it. My full review of the book is HERE (I also talk a little bit about the movie).