Skip to main content

Dewey's Readathon | 2017 Progress Round I


Today is THE DAY. Today readers all around the world come together to read. Here in Madrid is very gloomy and it's raining slightly and a bit cold so when the clock turns 2pm I'll have my blanket, a cup of hot chocolate and my pile of books ready to readathon. For the first time, I'll have the house all to myself. My parents and sister are going away for the bank holiday. The reason I'm staying is to study for finals which are in May but I've been quite productive throughout the whole of April and I'm taking today off just because.

Anyways, I'll be updating my reading progress here and on my Twitter throughout the entire readathon and I hope you all who are (or aren't) participating have a lovely day. Please feel free to share your social media where you'll be talking and updating about the readathon. I always love to check updates. It's very motivating :)

13:50 -> Just finished season 1 of Skam. Right on time. I really enjoyed it and I might start with season 2 when I don't feel like reading during the readathon.

14:00 -> And WE'RE OFF! I'm starting the readathon with One Hundred Shadows by Hwang Jungeum. It's a short novel and the font is big but knowing I'm a slow reader it would take me at least a couple of hours.

16:29 -> After a bit of break to have lunch, I managed to finish my first book for the readathon. And I'm not sure I picked the right choice. One Hundred Shadows is too bizarre for me and I think its meaning went over my head which is a shame. Now, I think I'm gonna take a second break and see another episode of Skam.

17:35 -> Starting now my second book. I spent way too much time on social media

18:33 -> Finished Dear Ijeawele, or A Feminist Manifesto in Fifteen Questions by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie and it was truly fantastic! Adichie knows how to pack a punch. This is only 63 pages long but it covers so many important issues about how we treat women differently to men just because they are born female and vice versa and she's straightforward and unapologetic about it. I loved her Tedtalk We Should All be Feminists but I love this even more.

20:55 -> It's much later now and I've only managed to read 52 pages of Cogheart. I felt asleep and now that I'm awake I don't feel like reading. Might watch some TV and then get comfy and pick the book again.

02:00 -> After waking up from the nap I didn't feel like reading so I watched some TV shows and then decided to go to sleep around 11-ish pm. But couldn't sleep so started reading and I managed to read until page 237 of Cogheart. I'm going to try and get some sleep to fully enjoy the last hours of the readathon tomorrow.

09:00 -> Woke up at 8, had a much needed breakfast (aka coffee) and now I'm ready to read for the last 5 hours of the readathon. My plan is to finish Cogheart and pick up the poetry collection. Unfortunately I don't think I'll manage to get to Am I Normal Yet?

11:34 -> Finshed my fourth book and it was glorious! I cannot even tell you how What We Buried by Caitlyn Siehl made me feel because it made me feel all things at once. I want all her poems tattooed on my skin and I want to wear them as armour.

13:35 -> Managed to read 122 pages of Am I Normal Yet? and I like the serious talk about mental illness but also mixed with humour moments. Anyways, I'm saying goodbye to this readathon 25 min earlier because I truly need to run some errands.

I had such a lovely time. Participating in the readathon always makes me happy and motivates me to read even afterwards. I read 4 books and a third of a fifth one. I didn't really counted the hours I've read but I know it must be around 10-11 hours. Page count: 747.

Hope everyone had an amazing time and let's see you all around in the next one!

Follow

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vintage Classics: Brontë Series

Maybe you don’t know this about me but I collect different edition of Jane Eyre and when I learnt that Vintage was releasing the new Brontë series I just couldn’t say no. 

Book Review // Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea

Because of Mr. Terupt  by Rob Buyea { Goodreads } Published by Yearling in 2011 Paperback edition; 288 pages { BookDepository } " Features seven narrators, each with a unique story, and each with a different perspective on what makes their teacher so special.  It’s the start of fifth grade for seven kids at Snow Hill School. There’s . . .  Jessica,  the new girl, smart and perceptive, who’s having a hard time fitting in;  Alexia,  a bully, your friend one second, your enemy the next;  Peter,  class prankster and troublemaker;  Luke,  the brain;  Danielle, who never stands up for herself; shy  Anna,  whose home situation makes her an outcast; and  Jeffrey,  who hates school.  Only Mr. Terupt, their new and energetic teacher, seems to know how to deal with them all. He makes the classroom a fun place, even if he doesn’t let them get away with much . . . until the snowy winter day when an accident changes everything—and everyone. "

Reading Diary | February Books | 2018

Feb, 1st - 15:15. Finished the second book in the first volume of the Riyria Revelations and I was pleasantly surprised. I still think the world building is the weakest thing about the story because it's not greatly developed but the story is well-written and entertaining. I'm planning on continuing reading the series because now I'm intrigued enough to want to know how everything will unfold. Feb, 7th - 10:33.  I'm finally prepared to go and see the movie Call Me By Your Name because I just finished reading the novel. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It is a celebration of love and an exploration of sex and identity. It's quite explicit though so if you feel uncomfortable with that keep it in mind if you're planning on reading it. My full review of the book is HERE (I also talk a little bit about the movie).