Skip to main content

Book Haul | August 2016


We aren't even halfway through August and I did say I was on a book buying ban but my birthday last month sent that out of the window. I got a few vouchers and so here are the books I got for myself besides the ones I was gifted with.

In a month time I'll be in London because my parents got me and my sisters tickets for the Harry Potter Studios and althought it will be a quick visit I think I'll manage to visit some bookshops - Persephone Books is a priority - so let's test once again my will power as to not buy anymore books until that trip happens.

Anyways, here are the books I got:


The Summer that Melted Everything by Tiffany McDaniel. Summer of 1984 and a horrible heat wave has hit Breathed, Ohio pretty hard. At the same time a boy appears out of nowhere and claims he's the devil. I found the premise incredibly interesting and the reviews out there praise it to the skies so I couldn't resist myself. 


Smoke by Dan Vyleta. A fantasy novel in which sins are visible. They smoke literally out of people's bodies. I'm very eager to see if it is any good or not.


The Tidal Zone by Sarah Moss. Another one doing its rounds on Booktube and so far, I haven't heard a negative thing about it. It is told by Adam, a father that one day receives a call from his daughter's school telling him she has collapsed and stopped breathing for no apparent reason. She recovers but the angst of not knowing what caused it and if it can happen again follows this family everywhere.


Ruby by Cynthia Bond. Shortlisted for the Baileys Women's Prize for Fiction. Welcome to Liberty, a small town in Texas where you find everything but just that: liberty. Ruby escapes this place just to be drawn back into town by her past.


Names for the Sea by Sarah Moss. A memoir/travel book by the same author of The Tidal Zone. It is about her experiences in Iceland when she got a job at The University of Iceland and decided to move there with her entire family. I'm obsessed with Iceland and I wish I could visit one day; for the time being, I'll live vicariously through her words.


Tender Morsels by Margo Lanagan. The only YA book in the selection and I got it because I loved Fairytales for Wilde Girls back in July and I felt this might be similar. It is a fantasy novel dealing with fairy-tales. I can't wait to read it while on holidays surrounded by nature. It would create the perfect atmosphere to lose myself.


Get in Trouble by Kelly Link. A magical short story collection. This one I added it to my cart on a whim because I liked the sound of it. It's kind of hard to explain a short story collection because each story adds something different but I know Link touches fantasy, magical realism, science fiction and even horror. What else can I ask for?


The Fifth Season by N. J. Jemisin. The last book in this haul is the first book in fantasy trilogy. The world building is apparently fantastic and it is paired with beautiful writing. I'm a sucker for fantasy, it is indeed my favourite genre even though I've been reading other stuff lately, but it is always nice to go back into a genre you love so much when it's being so long.

Have you read any of these? What books have you purchased recently? 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vintage Classics: Brontë Series

Maybe you don’t know this about me but I collect different edition of Jane Eyre and when I learnt that Vintage was releasing the new Brontë series I just couldn’t say no. 

Book Review // Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea

Because of Mr. Terupt  by Rob Buyea { Goodreads } Published by Yearling in 2011 Paperback edition; 288 pages { BookDepository } " Features seven narrators, each with a unique story, and each with a different perspective on what makes their teacher so special.  It’s the start of fifth grade for seven kids at Snow Hill School. There’s . . .  Jessica,  the new girl, smart and perceptive, who’s having a hard time fitting in;  Alexia,  a bully, your friend one second, your enemy the next;  Peter,  class prankster and troublemaker;  Luke,  the brain;  Danielle, who never stands up for herself; shy  Anna,  whose home situation makes her an outcast; and  Jeffrey,  who hates school.  Only Mr. Terupt, their new and energetic teacher, seems to know how to deal with them all. He makes the classroom a fun place, even if he doesn’t let them get away with much . . . until the snowy winter day when an accident changes everything—and everyone. "

Reading Diary | February Books | 2018

Feb, 1st - 15:15. Finished the second book in the first volume of the Riyria Revelations and I was pleasantly surprised. I still think the world building is the weakest thing about the story because it's not greatly developed but the story is well-written and entertaining. I'm planning on continuing reading the series because now I'm intrigued enough to want to know how everything will unfold. Feb, 7th - 10:33.  I'm finally prepared to go and see the movie Call Me By Your Name because I just finished reading the novel. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It is a celebration of love and an exploration of sex and identity. It's quite explicit though so if you feel uncomfortable with that keep it in mind if you're planning on reading it. My full review of the book is HERE (I also talk a little bit about the movie).