Skip to main content

December Wrap-Up!

Guys, are you aware of the fact that tomorrow will be 2015? ARE YOU? On one hand, I want 2014 to end because it hasn't been the greatest, especially since the end of summer but on the other hand, I'm scared about 2015. Anyways, I'm here to talk about my reading this month and as most of you would know, it hasn't been the greatest but, to be honest, I don't care. Here you have them:


1. Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
2. Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo
3. Paper Towns by John Green
4. Gifted by H. S. Stone
5. The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin


I picked up Shadow and Bone to buddy read it with Sarah at Bookish Retreat and I expected to like it alright but oh boy, was this book brilliant! I loved it! Such a compelling first book in a trilogy. All the twists I didn't see coming and the characters and the world building were surreal. I was sucked into the story. It is an incredible book and I highly recommend it if you like fantasy. I gave it 5 stars.

And of course, I really like to marathon my series, especially if they are complete, so I had to pick up the second book, Siege and Storm, straightaway and sadly I was spoiled, by myself, which is even worse (I would never trust Goodreads again, like, EVER!) and the ending was ruined for me. It devastated me because it is a great sequel. A bit dragging in the middle but still really good and I had to give it only 3 stars because my whole experience with it was destroyed. Just so you know, I even thought about DNF it and that's something I never do. But I persevered and finished it even though it took me 11 days to get through it.

After that, I went for Paper Towns by John Green because firstly, he has never disappointed me and secondly, contemporaries are easier to read. Long story short, this book disappointed me and it was definitely not easy to read. I liked the writing style but the whole plot is was a big "meh!". It didn't impress me and most the characters were so annoying. Quentin, the main character, was fine at the beginning but then I started to dislike him. His obsession with Margo was everything but healthy and don't get me started on Margo. I despised her in every possible way. The only character that saved the book for me was Radar. And despite the fact that some dialogues were hilarious, the book lacked realism at certain parts. I can't believe I didn't like this since both The Fault in Our Stars and Looking for Alaska are two of my favourite books. Such a shame! I gave it 3 stars (only due to the funny dialogues and Radar, he was just that good!), but truly this one deserves 2 stars and I'll probably change my Goodreads rating.

While I was reading Paper Towns, H. S. Stone contacted me and ask me if I wanted to read his book and after reading the plot I said yes and luckily I didn't regret it. I did a whole review of Gifted, which you can check out here, but I do wanna say that I really enjoyed it and I highly recommend it if you want to dive into fantasy. It is about a world when people is divided into Regulars and Gifteds, and the latter, once discovered, are imprisoned and forced to fight in a duel with their own kind until the death... very much like gladiators. I gave it 4 stars.

Finally, and since I want to finish some series, I went ahead and started reading The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin and holy moly, that book! It played with my mind in such a scary way that I still don't know how to gather my thoughts about the whole situation. The ending though was a massive WTF moment, I was completely speechless. The only thing that prevented me from giving it 5 stars was the fact that both Mara and Noah frustrated me with the whole 'let's keep secrets' thing between each other... can you just please be honest? Anyhow, I ended up giving it 4.5 stars.

And there you have it, all the books I've read this December. How did you do this month, reading wise?

Hope you are having an amazing day and I wish you all a very Happy New Year! See you all in 2015!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vintage Classics: Brontë Series

Maybe you don’t know this about me but I collect different edition of Jane Eyre and when I learnt that Vintage was releasing the new Brontë series I just couldn’t say no. 

Book Review // Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea

Because of Mr. Terupt  by Rob Buyea { Goodreads } Published by Yearling in 2011 Paperback edition; 288 pages { BookDepository } " Features seven narrators, each with a unique story, and each with a different perspective on what makes their teacher so special.  It’s the start of fifth grade for seven kids at Snow Hill School. There’s . . .  Jessica,  the new girl, smart and perceptive, who’s having a hard time fitting in;  Alexia,  a bully, your friend one second, your enemy the next;  Peter,  class prankster and troublemaker;  Luke,  the brain;  Danielle, who never stands up for herself; shy  Anna,  whose home situation makes her an outcast; and  Jeffrey,  who hates school.  Only Mr. Terupt, their new and energetic teacher, seems to know how to deal with them all. He makes the classroom a fun place, even if he doesn’t let them get away with much . . . until the snowy winter day when an accident changes everything—and everyone. "

Reading Diary | February Books | 2018

Feb, 1st - 15:15. Finished the second book in the first volume of the Riyria Revelations and I was pleasantly surprised. I still think the world building is the weakest thing about the story because it's not greatly developed but the story is well-written and entertaining. I'm planning on continuing reading the series because now I'm intrigued enough to want to know how everything will unfold. Feb, 7th - 10:33.  I'm finally prepared to go and see the movie Call Me By Your Name because I just finished reading the novel. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It is a celebration of love and an exploration of sex and identity. It's quite explicit though so if you feel uncomfortable with that keep it in mind if you're planning on reading it. My full review of the book is HERE (I also talk a little bit about the movie).